The present Princeton Public Library opened its doors on June 8, 1905. This was the third library in Princeton. The first library was destroyed by 1886. The second one that was built by the Princeton Library Association in 1887 was brick and is still standing on the east side of the square. The Library was on the second floor and a business rented out the top floor. In 1903 The Library Association contacted Andrew Carnegie for funds to build a new library as they had outgrown the present building. The Library Association dissolved and the Princeton Public Library Board of Trustees was appointed. Andrew Carnegie donated $15,000 with the stipulation that the Library be free to everyone, purchase land to build the library and insure that there were funds to maintain the library of $1,500 annually. The Board purchased the lot on the corner of Hart and Water for $2,000. The architect firm of Harris and Shopbell was selected with Bean & Davis of Princeton to construct the library at a cost of $11,143.50. When you enter the library on the west side the inner doors, the brass chandelier, the stained glass panel and the fireplaces are all original.
In 1981 Patoka Township joined with the city of Princeton in support of the Library. In June 1987 the Library began an expansion program on the east side of the building which included an inside ramp for handicap access to all floors of the building. The project began under the architectural firm of Fosse Associates with ARC Construction as the builders. The downstairs area was finished under the architectural firm of Bill Gaisser Designs/Architecture with DeWeese and Sons as the builders. The project was finished in 1992.
Our Trustees & Staff
In 2005, the Library received a Community Development Block Grant for restoration of the Carnegie section of the Library and to add an elevator for easier access to the building. The architectural firm was Gs Ridgway and Associates. The construction firm was Jeffrey Koester & Sons.
In 2019, the Library embarked upon another expansion project on the east side that would meet the community need for more meeting and tutoring/study areas. The architectural firm selected was Hafer Design Associates and the construction firm was ARC Construction firm. This project was completed and a small celebration was held for its completion on April 11, 2021. This is the version of the library that is still in use today.
Board of Trustees
North Gibson School Board Appointees
Bryan Ellis, Julie Sheridan (Board Secretary), Barb Wood
Gibson County Commissioners Appointee
Matthew D. Wallace (Board President)
Gibson County Council Appointee
Cindy Petty (Board Vice-President)
Princeton City Council Appointee
Patoka Township Advisory Council Appointee
Bruce McIntosh (Board Treasurer)
Brenda M. Williams, Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Shannon Goodwin Linsday, Programming/Marketing Coordinator (email@example.com)
Bonita Johnson, Local History/Genealogy Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
April Yockey, Youth Services Coordinator (email@example.com)
Sherry, Library technical
Cheri, Library Assistant
Sabrina, Library Assistant
Lynn, Library Assistant
Amber, Tech Assistant